Sunday, October 30, 2011

So many questions: Lindiwe Mazibuko

Chris Barron
Times LIVE, 30 October 2011

Lindiwe Mazibuko has been elected to lead the DA in parliament. Chris Barron asked her [a few questions]:

Will your election bring young black voters to the DA?
I believe it will. But not only young black voters; young voters in general.

You've got a relatively privileged background. Will township youths identify with you?
I'm not expecting them to identify with me because they think we're the same. I'm expecting them to take pride in, and comfort from, the fact that a fellow young person is engaged in a field traditionally seen to be the preserve of a much older generation.

The ANC has suggested you don't have the authentic black experience. Can you identify with township youths?
This is an example of why you can't box people. I actually did grow up in a township, but people assume, because of my accent, that I did not.

Did you tell that to Blade Nzimande?
No, because he was implying that, in order to get your black certificate, you need to have gone through a few experiences, jumped through a few hoops. I was not going to say, 'No, Blade, I am black; look, I lived in Umlazi.' That would be buying into the notion that blackness is something that can be awarded to me by some arbiter of race. Click here to read full interview

No comments:

Post a Comment